Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

Iain * wrote:
On 1/9/07, Scott J. Harmon <harmon ksu edu> wrote:
But Beagle is not in gnome, so this point is moot.  I think we are
really seeing that people who have Beagle like Slab, and people who
don't have Beagle don't like slab...

No, I don't have Beagle installed
And I'm currently the person defending slab the most.
In fact, I don't see what having Beagle installed would help me use better :)
I think this discussion is going to get a little off track here if everyone puts up their slab gripes and then iain or someone else tries to defend them all until either everyone reading the discussion is annoyed or one of the participants has been beaten into submission. If there are bugs with slab you can list them during this discussion, but really you should be filing bugs and perhaps showing the bugs related to slab. Bugs can be fixed and the specific implementation or fixes should be argued on the bug itself. That's not to say if there are a significant number of bugs or poor programming practices that it doesn't make sense to discuss those issues now.

What I'd suggest is that we talk about the goals or direction that the slab menu takes GNOME and if that's a place we want to be or if we need to change anything else to make it the place we want. Since the slab is a fairly large change in the desktop layout / interface, so if you don't mind I'd like to try to frame the discussion around something like this instead.

In the usability tests it appears the slab menu is built on a single bottom menu bar, should GNOME change the panel layout to accommodate including slab? What is your recommended layout look like?

JP put this earlier, would you suggest GNOME keep the current panel / menu layout (as legacy) and just create a new one for the slab? To me this sounds like the best way forward.

In short, what's your expected effect on the GNOME desktop when it's using slab?

Personally I think the menu is nice and there are a number of things I'd have done differently but the main reason I see against including it is that without beagle I can't imagine using it. I tried turning off beagle and it's pretty hard to navigate your files without a places menu. Any suggestions?

~ Bryan