Re: Proposal: gnome-main-menu for inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:48:46 -0700
> From: Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com>
> To: "[ISO-8859-1] Germ�Po�ama�<gpoo ubiobio cl>
> Cc: Rob Adams <readams readams net>, desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Proposal: gnome-main-menu for inclusion in GNOME 2.18
>
> I'm in total agreement here.  I've used the slab menu which is included
> in Ubuntu.  For those who want to make useful comments about slab as it
> compares with the other menu setups can "apt-get install
> gnome-main-menu" on Edgy.
>
> My personal feeling is that it does seem kind of slow.  I find it hard
> to find applications when using the application browser.

> it's the same as windows.  I understand there was user testing done but
> I would think that this is a big departure from the windows interface

Were there any ergonomics or click tracking tests done on Slab?

> If this was used in GNOME it would be hard for those who use GNOME daily
> (as I do) to switch gears at first to using this interface.  Perhaps
> windows users would appreciate the switch but I think regular GNOME
> users might find it a little hard to change.

My feeling - I do not have testing facilities at my disposal - is that the
old menus have very clear and blocky target areas and slab not so much.
Ergonomics seems the more plausible explanation for experienced users
having difficulties getting up to speed.

> Personally, if it looks like that people like the change I don't mind as
> long as we have a backwards compatible way to use the old menu system.
> Just because you change it doesn't mean you can't continue using the old
> way for those of us who have learned to use GNOME in that way.

> This also creates problems for systems administrators when you change
> UIs as it requires re-training for it's users which costs time and money
> to use the new system unless you can provide a method to let users
> migrate to the new system over time.

I do hope serious consideration will be given to providing a stable
experience for existing users and migration.

It would be nice if proposed modules could be included in odd numbered
releases without first fully accepting it so as to help when it comes to
testing and evaluation, but I suppose Garnome (and Jhbuild?) largely take
care of that.

--
Alan