Re: Proposal: gnome-main-menu for inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 11:27 -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> One question about slab:
>
> Why does it start an entirely separate program when you select "More
> Applications"?  On my system, this has a 2-3 second delay when pressing
> this button the first time, and about slightly more than 1 second on
> subsequent presses.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks. And I must say it feels slow.
The fist time in a session it takes between 2-4 second to appear the
menu. If I press 'More applications...', it takes a little more.  Also,
the right pane in "Application browser" is painted twice (at least
two are clearly visible).

When the menu is in memory, it improves the responsiveness, but still
is easy to see it flickering when the 'Application browser' is loaded.

After a while, it read the whole menu again, getting the user experience
slow again.

Another issue happens when you have tagged more than 6 applications
as favorites.  In the session you tagged the applications, is possible
to see all your favorites applications right there.  In a new session,
only are shown the first six applications selected.  Not good in terms
of consistency.

So, for the day use, I must to install also the stock menu applet,
because it is more responsiveness when you need to run a non
favorite application.

Don't forget the 'fast' part in 'fast, better, beatiful' that we
are /selling/.  gnome-main-menu is pretty beatufil, but slow, which
means a regression in term of user experience.

I'm sure it can be improved and I hope so.

Regards,

--
Germán Poó-Caamaño
http://www.ubiobio.cl/~gpoo/