Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Havoc Pennington">

Or even why is GNOME sidelining things like:
  - Maemo
  - Elisa
  - One Laptop Per Child
  - ...

You make it sound active - it's not, it's passive. But that's changing.

I don't mean to imply active or not, and I'm glad to hear it's changing.

I think having some of those non-desktop projects on equal footing within GNOME alongside the desktop release would make a big difference. _Especially_ if each subproject is defined by its target audience and benefit, rather than by its codebase.

I thought of a more concrete approach to understanding what this means.

Question for the list, what is the target audience and benefit to them of the desktop release?

Current:
- historical UNIX workstation users who want something similar but not dead - technology fans who want a set of apps they can mess with and heavily customize
 - thin client / computer lab deployments who want something with good
manageability / security and low cost (the low cost especially for government/edu) - server administrators who want to pack a lot of ssh sessions onto the screen, use some web-based admin consoles, and occasionally waste some time doing non-work stuff
 - ...

Future:
 - ... ? (try to be as specific as the above)

Havoc