Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

On 7/17/06, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:

Question for the list, what is the target audience and benefit to them
of the desktop release?

Current:
  - historical UNIX workstation users who want something similar but not
dead
  - technology fans who want a set of apps they can mess with and
heavily customize
  - thin client / computer lab deployments who want something with good
manageability / security and low cost (the low cost especially for
government/edu)
  - server administrators who want to pack a lot of ssh sessions onto
the screen, use some web-based admin consoles, and occasionally waste
some time doing non-work stuff
  - ...

Future:

Not sure if this is one of them rhetorical questions or if this was
even what you meant but its late and I'm bored, split the way I
understand best; generationally:

 - Younger teenagers who want to stay in touch with their circle of
friends, share the latest funny video they've found and play some cool
flash game.

- Older teenagers who have to do coursework and school reports, look
up information online, develop hobby abilities around the computer,
express themselves.

 - Students who want to type essays, and keep in touch with friends
back home and at other unis, letting them know what they've been up
to.

- People with a role in a club or society (say youth group, church
activities, sports club, etc) who want to write newsletters, or send
out flyers.

- Small business/medium owners who need to do basic bookkeeping, stock
checking and making silly signs that say "No, we have no bananas" and
"I assure you we're open" when required.

Now I'm getting silly, maybe other people have other ideas if this was
indeed what you wanted people to do.

iain