Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Gabriel Bauman wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:01:22 -0700
> From: Gabriel Bauman <gabe bravenet com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: Desktop Devel <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Not OK computer:///   [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]
>
> > Why do people keep creating new protocols?
> >
> > It breaks things.  file:/// is a perfectly good protocol, computer:/// is
> > compatible only with Nautilus (and disturbingly like the c:/ drive from
> > Microsoft, I'm not just being anti-Microsoft it really is a bad idea).
>
> Our problem is that from the user's perspective, Nautilus appears to
> address 'shell folders' as if they were protocols. This is confusing.
>
> For special locations, how about something like:
>
> gnome:storage instead of computer:///
> gnome:applications instead of applications:///
> gnome:trash instead of trash:///

still have most of the same problems

even if you know a gnome: protocol exists you wont necessarily know the
about the ":storage" or ":applications" bit and you wont be able to
translate them either.

you will still need to retrofit old applications.

I dont claim for a second to have all the answers (hell I hardly have any
answers) but I can find problems and trust the developers can find
solutions.
But as I said in my previous post it might not be possible to fix all
problems at once and this certainly sounds like an improvement over
previous problmes.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/