Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Shaun McCance wrote:

> Date: 04 Oct 2004 17:33:55 -0500
> From: Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
> To: Desktop Devel <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Not OK computer:///   [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]
>
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 16:48, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > I figure it could have been implemented as ~/Computer/ and have the drives
> > and shortcuts mounted there which doesn't mess as much with the
> > traditional "everything is a file" and I think it is kind of appropriate
> > that your Computer would be inside your Home.
>
> Actually mount them there?  Oh please no.

My suggested implementation was only a suggestion and I assumed
developers would have a better solution.

> First of all, you can access things that aren't mounted from Computer,
> like Network.  Second, this has the exact same problem that we *used* to
> have with devices on the desktop.  The captains solved that problem.
> Let's not re-introduce it.

Creating a new protocols is a problem, but it seems less worse than the
other problems you describe.

> The problem is that many people have NFS-mounted home directories.  If
> my CD gets mounted at ~/Computer/CD\ Rom, and I step over to another
> machine, I see this ghost directory.

> The system absoluty, positively *MUST* be safe to use with networked
> home directories.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution.  Hopefully someone else can
suggest something that fixes my problem without introcing more or
reintroducing old problems.

>From the looks of it I'm going to have to live with the lesser of two
evils for the forseeable future.

Thanks anyway.