Re: filename translation implementation - how to decide

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 23:32 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-12-15 at 22:07, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > So, for every filename, you'd call fdo_get_desktop_dir() and compare
> > with that, and if its true you'd call fdo_get_desktop_displayname(),
> > repeat for all special folders. Doesn't sound very efficient.
>
> Well that kind of programming would explain some of the gnome
> performance, but
> why would you do both ?
>
> > It could be done better, but basically you'd end up with doing both
> > systems, and then only supporting one anyway. Increasing complexity,
> > lowering performance, and generally confusing things.
>
> A bit rich from the "translate the name and watch hell break out" camp.

Could we *please* stop bashing each other before this thread turns
really nasty (and ends up on slashdot). If we stick to constructive
criticism, Im sure we can resolve this to everyone's satisfaction.

The fdo lib proposal is a compromise solution so we can have translation
in the short term and possibly configurable directories later whilst
still playing nice with fd.o and fd.o compliant apps in the meantime.

jamie.