Re: filename translation implementation - how to decide

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 16:50 +0100, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 15-12-2004 alle 16:21 +0100, Alexander Larsson ha
> scritto:
> > Since the time is ticking for the glib/gtk+ API freeze we're soon gonna
> > run out of time to get this API in place at the right place (glib).
> > Therefore, to further what I think is the right decision I implemented
> > the gettext method in glib/gtk+/libgnomeui/nautilus. Patches and test
> > filesystem po file attached.
> >

> <snip>
>
> I agree wrt the noise/signal ratio problem of this thread, however there
> seems to be consensus on at least one thing: this problem has to be
> addressed on a fd.o level and afaik the discussion has been for now only
> internal to GNOME.
>
> IMHO any solution should not be rushed until we are sure that every fd.o
> party will adopt it. If this means we'll miss the glib freeze for this
> devel cycle, so be it. It just means that we'll have to keep "Desktop",
> "Templates" and (if it is accepted) "Public" for another six months.

I think its unlikely that we'll get any solution if we take the
discussion to a broader list if we can't even get a decision here. Right
after I sent my first mail i mailed some core kde people and asked them
on their opinion on this. I haven't gotten any replies yet.

I've made freedesktop standards before, and I know that unless you have
a basic consensus formed already its basically impossible to get
anything done. You'll just get even more opinions.

> PS: since you still seem to favour the gettext approach, I would like to
> at least see a response to the possible problems with that approach
> which were pointed out after your initial proposal and that even Havoc
> aknowledged[1]
>
> [1]:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-December/msg00490.html

I don't know what I can respond without making this thread a rerun of
the old one. Each side has advantages and disadvantages that they can
repeat as long as they want. I don't consider this particular issue a
showstopper.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional shark-wrestling photographer who hangs with the wrong
crowd. She's a mentally unstable hip-hop schoolgirl looking for love in all
the wrong places. They fight crime!