Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 11:48 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sul, 2004-12-12 at 17:01, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > Slightly simpler *for people who use the shell* - let's be clear at all
> > > times who we are optimizing for.
> >
> > We seem to be trying to forget previous discussion. Simpler for people
> > who use oracle, samba, nfs, xfce, kde, motif, mozilla, openoffice, motif
> > apps, eclipse, and on it goes.
>
> Most of those (kde, mozilla, oo.org, eclipse at minimum) can be expected
> to track any fd.org standard. Samba/nfs don't make any sense as an
> issue, they are unaffected. And Motif apps already present a wildly
> different view of the filesystem than GNOME.

But Motif doesn't force users to use English filenames, does it?
(I don't really know, but I wouldn't have thought so.)

This is the main issue for me. Do we care about Motif and other old &
weird toolkits showing English filenames to everyone, with no regard for
their native language? I think we should avoid that if at all possible.

Damon