Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

lör 2004-12-11 klockan 13:10 -0500 skrev Havoc Pennington:
> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 02:48 +0900, Jan Morén wrote:
> >
> > In the file selector, I would have "Escritorio" - but, if I clicked the
> > "home" folder, I would also have "Desktop" available; and if I
> > bookmarked that for the file selector, I could well have both as options
> > without ever acknowliging that they in fact are the one and same?
>
> No, that's how it works today. With the proposal, you would see
> Escritorio in all those cases. What you're describing is the problem
> we're trying to solve with the two proposals Alex posted.

Hmm. So I would have a file selector that is lying to me? I would do "ls
~", and see "Desktop", then use gedit to open a file and "Desktop" would
be nowhere to be found (replaced by "Skrivbord" or "机", depending on
what language I use that day)?

Could you afford the possibility of users wanting some kind of stability
for this?

> > I really, _really_ do not see how having a gconf key available pointing
> > at whatever happens to be the "Desktop" folder is worse.
>
> Because it's more complex - likely to break, and likely to waste a bunch
> of someone like Alex's time fixing stupid corner cases. We have
> empirical evidence of that from past GNOME experience and from Windows
> experience and from common sense based on writing lots of desktop code.

The only apps that need to care at all are GNOME software that want to
default to "Desktop - the Concept!" for their use, which is largely
Nautilus and related apps and not much else.

I don't expect ncftp to default to the "desktop" for its downloads; as a
matter of fact, I don't expect _anything_ except Nautilus to care about
"Desktop" at all. "Desktop" is Nautilus' playground only. In fact, if
anything dumps stuff onto my desktop without me doing so (ie. without
the implicit help of Nautilus) I would be very cross.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden