Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 21:25, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 19:02, Alan Johnson wrote:
> >
> > I think it is taking a fairly large step to say that IM capability is of
> > equal or greater importance than archiving.  We currently distribute
> > packages as archives, and as such, archival is of fairly large
> > importance in daily use on the desktop.
> >
> > In addition, the size, installation time, and utility of FileRoller make
> > it a more obvious candidate than GAIM for inclusion in the desktop
> > release.
> >
> > And, I would even emphasize my previous point by saying if File Roller
> > does not completely satisfy our requirements for release it should not
> > be included, but I don't really feel that this is the case.
>
> Uhh i'm fairly sure that 99.9% of computer using public has greater need
> for a good IM client than an archive manager.

This is not true.  I always hear from newbies who are looking to get off
windows, "do you have something like WinZip"?    A lot of stuff off the
net comes archived and regular people just don't know what to do with
it.  Power users don't use it (and think that nobody has a need for it)
because most of us are just so used to tar xfzp foo.tar.gz.  I remeber
when my dad was lost on his windows computer because he couldn't just
double click an achive of clipart he had downloaded because WinZip
wasn't installed and he didn't understand why it didn't just come with
the computer.  Lately I have found myself going to art.gnome.org and
instead of downloading themes to disk I open them up in File Roller and
throwing icons in .icons and themes in .themes. It just feels like a
smoother experience if I never have to touch the command line and I
develop on the command line all day at work.

IM can be installed seprately but it is realy nice to have something
like File Roller integrated.  Having IM integrated would be nice too but
I don't think it as important.  As a program it is very important but as
part of the Gnome base, not so much.

--
J5