Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 11:33, Daniel Farrell wrote:
> > The desktop release is meant to be a minimal satisfaction of the 'greatest
> > common factor' of user requirements. It's essentially comparable to what you
> > get with Windows and other environments by default [ or meant to be ;) ].
>
> In keeping with this, why hasn't anyone mentioned Gaim yet?  Instant
> messaging is now a basic desktop feature.  Shoot, here is what I would
> consider basic:
>
> Email
> Web Browsing
> Instant Messaging
> Audio playing(and video is catching up)
>
> We should keep the basic desktop in plain view.  Are there any reasons
> Gaim shouldn't be including in the basic desktop?

Gaim isn't anywhere close to being a GNOME app?  ;-)  I still find it
annoying that I have to go thru the pain of typing in the command-line
necessary to launch my browser from within GAIM, for example.

There's several other GNOME-based IM clients - one of those if they get
into shape in time would be most excellent to have.

Or get GAIM to have the GNOME-compile-time option again so it integrates
nicely...