Re: Default theme for GNOME

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 04:58, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Michele Campeotto">
>
> >   I can see the issues about maintainership, but what about
> > LighthouseBlue? It has some refienements over Bluecurve...
>
> The ugly bits were well refined. :-)

I'm not sure if that was a jab at LighthouseBlue or not, but if, so,
then :P

> > >Does this extend to the name of the shared library? If so, building upon
> > >the theme in any way will be difficult.
> >
> >   IIRC, Havoc said RH was going to include a configure time option to
> >   change the name of the theme, so that other distributors would use
> >   Wonderland instead of Bluecurve.
>
> Yes, that's the starting point for my question above. If it changes the name
> of the shared library due to trademark requirements, we've created a lovely
> breakage in non-RH platforms.

I would suggest we just avoid BlueCurve and Wonderland altogether...
they're really not even that nice of a theme to start with, and the
whole licensing/naming issue is just more fuss than it's worth.
Besides, I imagine Redhat wouldn't be very happy if all Linux/UNIX GNOME
installations ended up looking just like Redhat, whether or not they
have a trademarked name for their interface.  There's no point in having
a trademark on your interface name if everyone else looks just like
you.  ^,^

> - Jeff
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.