Preferences view ugliness

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 10:47, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:
> > OK, so... maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why are we doing
> > what sounds a lot like a complete rewrite at this point in the game?
>
> Because we can't change the schemas later, because it's not a
> dangerous rewrite - the capplets are simple - and because the current
> stuff is really embarassingly bad.
>
> I don't want to ship the current font/background capplets in Red Hat,
> for example. They are too lame.

Speaking of which, is anyone planning to fix the ugliness with the
"Advanced" icon in the new control center aka "preferences:///"?

The icon brings you to a new folder, but there is no actually hint that
it's a folder (besides it saying "5 items"), and it seems to break the
user's assumption about what goes on there.

(At the same time, the preferences view needs other fixes: e.g. it
shouldn't say "/" in the title or the sidebar, and it probably shouldn't
say "folder" in the sidebar either, nor tell me what date the folder was
last installed.  And not even the URL entry is appropriate for this.)

--
Ettore