background/font capplets

Hi,

I think it's important that we get better background/font capplets for
2.0. I don't know the detailed story but apparently people have
written the improved capplets. There's also apparently a better set of
background schemas, and these MUST go in before 2.0 if they are going
to change.

If we're going to get things in for 2.0, they need to go in _NOW_, at
least the UI, strings, and schemas do; some code cleanup can come
later, but we need the UI, strings, and schemas so that other modules
and teams can coordinate.

So I don't know what the whole long saga is about why this stuff is
not in, etc., but can people please make a concerted effort to get the
stuff in CVS ASAP. Plenty of the stuff in GNOME 2 is a bit broken or
suboptimal, but as long as the rough overall shape of something is
right, it needs to go in CVS sooner rather than later, so that other
people hacking on GNOME 2, writing docs, translations, etc. can
adapt. We need to sync Nautilus with the schemas for example.

Specifically why I think these need changing:

 - the font capplet has only one control in it and looks dumb, and
   is not instant apply; it should let us change the window titlebar
   font in addition to the GTK font, be instant apply, and get some
   assistance on overall appearance. It's just completely lame
   at the moment.

 - the background capplet is much uglier and less usable than Seth's
   very nice version. It definitely needs some UI help.

 - I haven't looked at the schemas, just going on hearsay,
   but again if they are going to change it needs doing soon.

Can people please take care of this? There is no good reason that I
see to ship GNOME 2 with inferior capplets in these two areas.
Let's just fix it.

Havoc