Window Managers [was: Control Center Plus - gone?]

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 08:46, Josh Barrow wrote:

> I think that the ui team decided that it was bad to use the term window
> manager (which I agree with if that's what they said) and is trying to
> hide the functionality.

I'm not a usability guru.. quite the opposite, so excuse the question if
it seems odd.

What is wrong with the term Window Manager? What is a better term for
it?

Another point I would like to make is that I think the "choose a window
manager" functionality shouldn't be hidden. I know many (hackers, and
non-hackers) that change their Window Managers within gnome. I can
understand that this _may_ be confusing perhaps to new users, so perhaps
it has a place in "advanced settings" or something similiar? I'm just
not sure why this functionality needs to be hidden.

> More advanced users will know how to change their window manager anyway.

I believe the suggestion was made to use Gconf Editor for this? I tried
this and Sawfish still came up. Could be me doing something stupid
though. I'll try again later perhaps.

thoughts?
TC