Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:
> Anyway, this affects the design choices in that a folder interface needs to
> be optimised for flatness, whilst a menu interface can be quite flexible
> with categorisation.

(Just to disagree a bit, I don't think
Applications->Preferences->Foo->ControlPanel is that good in menus
either. Submenus scary... and in the foot menu vs. the foobar you have
an extra level of nesting...)

> As it happens, I have a screenshot of the Mac OS X preferences program here:
>
>   http://perkypants.org/screenshots/osx-prefs.jpg

Yes! I'd forgotten about that one. Worth considering.

Still looks like it has a max of about 28 control panels before it
starts to break down though. ;-) I'm sure it starts scrolling or gets
larger or something, but scrolling would lose the "display everything
at once" feature that makes it nice right?

Havoc