magicdev [was Re: Gnome-vfs blocks cddb-capplet. Why?]

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> And yes, we would also need magicdev-like functionality somewhere (a
> non-broken one that gets the info from the kernel about CD insertion, I
> don't remember the ioctl off-hand). Would enable auto-mounting magic
> a-la mac (and a way to disable Nautilus' window open on mount as well).

If it auto-mounts, it needs to auto-umount too.

If we put magicdev-like functionality in GNOME, can we please make it
*NOT* do:

1) execute anything automatically from the cd on cd insertion.  This is
   a particularly stupid M$ innovation that we can well do without.
2) lock the cd drive drawer, so I have to hunt through menus just to
   get a cd out again
3) er
4) that's it.

when magicdev appeared in the Red Hat 6.x releases, it was fantastically
irritating.  It wasn't easily removed, because the libgnome rpm depended on
it iirc (I don't like using --force or --nodeps, because that leads to
extreme system breakage.)  I'd hope that it has improved since then.

In fact, magicdev was one of the reasons that finally pushed me into
switching to Debian for all my machines; for someone that starting using
Red Hat with the "Mother's Day" release, that was a pretty drastic change.

- Dick