Re: Is beagle completely dead now?

I've been using Beagle for a couple of years in a rather different way, which I guess is essentially GNOME-free. That is, I've been using beagled running on our small company server, with a couple of home-grown PHP pages to invoke beagle-query and parse its output. Works very well indeed, with a low server load - the point about beagled having the kernel tell it when a file is modified is a very important one, I think.

Unfortunately I can feel the cold breeze of Beagle's demise. Can anyone suggest an alternative for my purposes? Better still, would it be feasible to hive off beagled (and perhaps the web interface) as a server-oriented utility, for which there might be a significant demand? I came to Linux server (actually Ubuntu) to get away from Windows, and beagled was the best replacement I could find to MS indexer which plods away in the background - I can't be the only small system admin to want to do this! Unfortunately I'm a tinkerer, not a developer.

Cheers, Roger Lainson