Re: Is beagle completely dead now?

On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 16:12 -0600, Ronald Liebman wrote:
> Brian,

Hey Ron,

> This strikes me as a "Betamax" defense.

Whether Betamax won or lost the dominant video format war is really
quite orthogonal to whether it was better or not.  I don't honestly know
if it was better or not myself.  I constantly hear it was
technologically superior, but I was too young when that war was being
waged to have any firsthand experience.

> The world is full of technologically superior products that failed for
> lack of some critical non-technical component.

Sure.  But the point I was arguing was based on Recoll's technical
merits, not whether it is or isn't more popular or should or shouldn't
be.

> Recoll is soundly engineered, is true to its own design criteria, and
> is dedicated to supporting its end-users.

That may all be true, but it's still inferior (IMHO) to Beagle in the
category of instantly indexing and being friendly to the disk (and the
user).

b.