Re: 'Delete' v. 'Move to trash'

On 08/01/05 11:55:59, Craig Routledge wrote:
On 01/08/2005 04:31:44 AM, Pawel Salek wrote:
On 01/08/2005 04:43:00 AM, Craig Routledge wrote:
 I think this
whole idea of two different ways of "deleting" messages is prone to causing some confusion.

Yes, you are right in your analysis. Another difference between real (move-to-trash) and virtual (mark-as-deleted) trash models is that virtual trash folders are easiest to expunge on mailbox close: making them expunge messages on balsa exit may require opening them again, which may be time-consuming.

What I would like to know is whether such an idea is not too radical: I mean would it not be a too big shock for a person who has just switched from another program? For a complete beginner? I cannot tell myself.

If the virtual Trash shows up as a folder, just like the others, beginners probably won't even notice. People can either unhide deleted messages in their normal mailboxes or look in the trash. Either way, we have just one delete method which should simplify both the interface and the code.

Sounds good in theory anyways. I'm probably not the best judge of people's expectations either.

I think this sounds like a good solution. That would provide me with what I was hoping for all along (just a simple keystroke!) but would also provide many different types of users with good performance and not too many unexpected behaviours. Anything more complicated might confuse me, at least... :)

Andrew