Re: 'Delete' v. 'Move to trash'

On 01/08/2005 12:40:50 AM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
On 01/07/2005 11:26:37 AM, Craig Routledge wrote:
> On 01/06/2005 11:23:34 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
[ snip ]
>> So perhaps the default (initial) binding for `Delete' should
>> be to a dialog that offers to bind it to either `move to
>> trash' or `toggle deleted'[1]?  (I believe that's feasible,
>> right?)
>
> That sounds okay.  Although someone might change their mind
> later. Maybe instead of lots of preferences in the crowded
> preferences dialog, we could have a "reset mailbox to default
> settings" command?
[ snip ]
> It might be cleaner to have the dialog present three options:
>   * move to trash
>   * toggle deleted
>   * do nothing

OK--here's what I had in mind:

- a new item on the Settings menu, labeled "`Delete' key
   binding", with programmed accelerator `Delete';

- this item pops up a dialog:

Why not make it a radio submenu? Just an idea...

   Balsa has no default action when you press the `Delete' key.
   You can choose to have it:
   [ ] move selected messages to trash;
   [x] toggle the deleted flag for selected messages;
   [ ] do nothing.

Why would one like to have Delete key unbound? Seems unlikely to me - probably because I have this KISS principle written on a yellow note that got stuck to my screen.

Besides, I do not quite get why one would want to have a physically separate folder for trash. In other words: why Mailbox/Hide/(Un)deleted does not work as a quick switch between mailbox and associated trash. Is it that such messages are deleted on close, or there is some other reason? Because if this is the problem, I can imagine expunging only when "empty Trash on exit" option is set. Opinions?

Pawel