Re: COSCUP / GNOME.Asia 2010 Call For Papers

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
   We often use the term "free and open source software" in GNOME web
   pages and press releases. I do not think that being a free software
   project means that we are not an open source software project.

Nearly all (maybe all) free software fits the definition of open
source, so GNOME in particular does.  But that's not what we were
talking about.  We're talking about supporting the free software
movement.

Your original statement implied that being an open source software project was a bad thing.

Many of our audience will know what open source software is. While we are educating them on free software, we need to be sure not to alienate them by implying that they or their beliefs are bad. They are on our side and willing to listen. We need to use that energy and support by making sure we don't call open source evil or imply they have made wrong choices. I think this is a balance we could work on.

Best,

Stormy