Re: COSCUP / GNOME.Asia 2010 Call For Papers

    We often use the term "free and open source software" in GNOME web
    pages and press releases. I do not think that being a free software
    project means that we are not an open source software project.

Nearly all (maybe all) free software fits the definition of open
source, so GNOME in particular does.  But that's not what we were
talking about.  We're talking about supporting the free software
movement.

The issue here is how GNOME.Asia can give clear and strong support to
free software through its own activities.  We need help making the
public aware of free software, and aware that it is a different idea
from open source.

To say "free and open source software" is a little better than just
saying "open source", but not much.  That expression makes "open
source" more visible than "free software"; it gives support mainly to
open source, and only secondarily to free software.

Saying "free/libre and open source software" balances them out in
visibility; that expression gives equal PR support to free software
and open source.

But a GNOME activity should not aim to support them equally.  GNOME
should positively support the free software movement; it should say
"free software" by default, and mention "open source" only when
absolutely necessary.