Re: [xml] queer usage of install-sh

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:10:29AM +0300, Roumen Petrov wrote:
Hi All,

  Hi Roumen,

 - I have a pending patch from you, I need to review it, I know :-) -

Daniel Veillard wrote:
  this call to install.sh is generated ! See
    include/libxml/Makefile.am
the source just lists the header in xmlinc_HEADERS, and auto* does
the magic of calling install or install.sh . Maybe install.sh need
to be refreshed

Daniel

Daniel,
I confirm issue.
FSF install-sh support (from automake):
install-sh --help
Usage: ..../install-sh [OPTION]... [-T] SRCFILE DSTFILE
   or: ..../install-sh [OPTION]... SRCFILES... DIRECTORY
   or: ..../install-sh [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY SRCFILES...
   or: ..../install-sh [OPTION]... -d DIRECTORIES...

Also .gitignore list following "automake" files :
- ./config.guess
- ./config.sub
- ./depcomp
but don't include following "automake" files :
- install-sh
- missing
- mkinstalldirs
It seems to me inconsistent.

  Hum, right. I guess it's back from CVS, and old times where
we knew the config.* would change on a regular basis.

Matthias,
You could replace files:
- install-sh
- missing
- mkinstalldirs
with files from automake package (usually located in
/usr/share/automake*/ ) either manually or as run command
"automake --force-missing --add-missing --copy --foreign"

  Yup that refreshes them, I commited the 3 updates. Now the question
is :
  - should those files provided by auto* be in git ?
    + in a sense they are part of what makes a release
    + but they are somehow generated as coming from auto*
  - if we pick yes then maybe the 3 others should be added too
  - if we pick no then we should just remove them from git and
    list them in gitignore

I don't know yet what's really the best approach, the status quo was
fine until now but after a decade or so it managed to bite us :-)

Daniel