Re: [xml] queer usage of install-sh

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:41:37AM +0200, Matthias Jung wrote:
Hi all,
libxml comes with an 'install-sh' script which seems to be used when
good old 'install' is missing on a system.
(I know you need a strange system setup to run into this. Or in my case
not having /usr/local/bin, which contains install, in PATH)

libxml uses install-sh in the same way as install is used, with the
result of an incomplete libxml installation. For example include
directory will contain only SAX.h and SAX2.h. All other header files are
missing. Doc directory will also miss most html files.

Investigation of install-sh showed, this script seems not to be designed
for copying multiple files at once.

This is what libxml executes:
../.././install-sh -c -m 644 SAX.h entities.h encoding.h parser.h
parserInternals.h xmlerror.h HTMLparser.h HTMLtree.h debugXML.h tree.h
list.h hash.h xpath.h xpathInternals.h xpointer.h xinclude.h xmlIO.h
xmlmemory.h nanohttp.h nanoftp.h uri.h valid.h xlink.h xmlversion.h
DOCBparser.h catalog.h threads.h globals.h c14n.h xmlautomata.h
xmlregexp.h xmlmodule.h xmlschemas.h schemasInternals.h
xmlschemastypes.h xmlstring.h xmlunicode.h xmlreader.h relaxng.h dict.h

Wondering am I really the first running into this?

Daniel, what do you think would a for loop surrounding install calls
with multiple files be a good idea?

By the way, this is what xmlsec is doing:
install-xmlsecincHEADERS: $(xmlsecinc_HEADERS)
       $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(xmlsecincdir)
       @list='$(xmlsecinc_HEADERS)'; for p in $$list; do \
         if test -f "$$p"; then d=; else d="$(srcdir)/"; fi; \
         f="`echo $$p | sed -e 's|^.*/||'`"; \
         echo " $(xmlsecincHEADERS_INSTALL) $$d$$p
$(DESTDIR)$(xmlsecincdir)/$$f"; \
         $(xmlsecincHEADERS_INSTALL) $$d$$p
$(DESTDIR)$(xmlsecincdir)/$$f; \

  this call to is generated ! See
the source just lists the header in xmlinc_HEADERS, and auto* does
the magic of calling install or . Maybe need
to be refreshed

Daniel Veillard      | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit
daniel veillard com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine | virtualization library