Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

On 2007-10-14, Mark Tiefenbruck <mark fluxbox org> wrote:
> While I agree with you from an engineering standpoint, it's just not
> that simple. User expectations do, in fact, trump design simplicity.

What's the fucking big deal about some old Athena-based program
not having shadows under its menus? The typical "ooh! shiny"
luser who cares about fancy anti-usability effects won't even
know that such programs exist. But, I guess putting good design
ahead of glitz is something that the desktop herd won't even
consider in their quest for world domination. (And eradicating
choice in the process by turning the OS into an idiot box that
power users have hard time configuring to their needs anymore.
fontconfig AA/XML-fascism being case in point. It's easier
these days to switch to windows and enable unblurred fonts
there than to configure FOSS crap to use unblurred fonts.)

--
Tuomo