Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

On so 13. října 2007, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2007-10-12, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> > Currently many applications still don't support the
> > new window types
>
> So? They don't support that shit, so the compositing manager doesn't
> really know what it should do to their windows. Tough. Better not mess
> with them then.

 No, not really. Pretending some applications don't exist may be an acceptable
practice for Ion, but I don't think I'd get away with it in KWin, and I don't
think I'd be alone.

> The originally proposed AUXILIARY type as opposed to EFFECT seems
> more suited to working around crappy toolkits or such forcing a
> window type being specified. override-redirect windows _are_
> normally "auxiliary" windows that the WM or the compositing
> manager shouldn't mess with. (Although some of them, such as
> menus, would arguably be better as managed windows.) So an
> AUXILIARY type would simply tell it again that "yes, this really
> is an auxiliary override-redirect window that you shouldn't mess
> with although this hint is set for some strange reason".

 Are we still talking about ignoring windows that don't have any window type
set and applications that don't set those window types, including any
possible new extension like AUXILIARY?

 Besides, I still don't see how all this should solve the TYPE_NORMAL problem
I mentioned in my previous mail, which I actually consider to be more
important part of it.

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz