Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

On Friday 12 of October 2007, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2007-10-04, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> >  I agree here. AUXILIARY sounds like A_SPECIAL_HACK. I think that ideally
> > all such effects should be in the CM, but in reality I would be fine with
> > having this VISUAL_EFFECT.
>
> I think it is simplest, cleanest, and most compatible for a compositing
> manager to _ignore_ override_redirect windows, just like the window
> manager does, _unless_ it has further information to the contrary. That
> is, it should only mess with their presentation if something like a
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE attribute has been set to indicate that the window
> is really a menu or something else that the application wants the rest
> of the world to know about and mess with.

 I would agree that it's the simplest and cleanest solution, but I'm not sure
about most compatible. Currently many applications still don't support the
new window types and e.g. fading them as the same way like doing with
applications that do set the types would be desireable for consistency. The
cases when one would want to avoid that should be rare.

 Also, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL is such a strange vague thing :(, I don't
see how such rule would fix this specific case anyway. Let's say Plasma wants
to create such animation toplevel override-redirect window. Since none of the
specific window types fits, it will be _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL and KWin
will apply effects to it anyway. Whereas with _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_EFFECT it
will be clear that nothing like that should happen.

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz