Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> I think I'd agree with Havoc here. Why should it be the app's
> decision?

Because the app writer knows how the application should be used. The
window manager author can never know this. We have _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE
for exactly this reason. But these things are general, and we should
allow for the possibility of by-passing these things while still
allowing for proper focus/modality/group handling and interaction
between clients.

> Gkrellm can very well be a TYPE_DOCK, and XMMS is such an exercise in
>  non-standard GUI it's probably not even worth talking about it.

I disagree, Gkrellm and XMMS are exactly why this discussion started :)
Applications that mimic real world interfaces are *good* because users
can easily use it. Car-stereo looking things like XMMS are popular
exactly because of that reason. Removing the window manager decoration
is what app writers need to complete their real world look and feel;
dotting the i's and crossing the t's. :)

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway