Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On 2005-06-23, Bradley T Hughes <bhughes trolltech com> wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
>> I think I'd agree with Havoc here. Why should it be the app's
>> decision?
>
> Because the app writer knows how the application should be used.

The app writer does _not_ know how the app should be used under the
WM _I_ am using, only how the app writer thinks it should work under
the environment he is using. This kind of decoration and window
management control by applications is pure evil. The application writer
thinks he knows better than the user how the user's windows should
be managed by overriding the user's choice of window manager. If
some windows should be managed differently by the WM, it is up
to the WM to decide to do so based on e.g. some very general hints
on the window type, or even a db of WM_CLASS and WM_ROLE values
(that too many apps today forget to set) that could be installed
by the app for popular WMs. The app should still expect the WM
to honour nothing.

--
Tuomo