Re: [Usability] SoundJuicer "Submit Track Names" is unusable.

On 5/8/07, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
Soundjuicer should save the data locally for next time you put the CD in.
That is a bug

Yes, that sounds like a bug, but it isn't the main problem.  If I want
to re-rip from machine #2, fixing that bug doesn't help me.  If twenty
other people have already typed in the information on their local
machines, but not submitted it because you made it too hard for them
by giving them no other option than MB, that doesn't help me either.

It has nothing to do with usability.
It defintely shouldn't depend on whether or not you submit it to some
random database online.

Yes, it should.  There is a reason every major CD ripper has the
capability to submit to freedb.  It is important functionality for a
CD ripper.

So really, you're just pissed of because there isn't a button to
submit to freedb

Yes I am, and you haven't given a good reason not to have one other
than "I hate freedb".  Fine.  But don't impose your opinion on every
user of the stock Ubuntu install, in direct opposition to the practice
of most CD ripper software.  Make yourself an executable that doesn't
have the button, and use it on your system.

And you're wrapping it in the "Won't somebody think of the usability"
argument...

Yes, I am.  Convention is a big part of usability.  People expect
certain functionality in a certain way.  If it isn't provided because
a few developers have got their knickers in a twist about freedb, then
the system is just turning people off for no good reason.

Nothing should (*) use freedb
the soon it dies
the better.

You have a right to your opinion, but not to impose it on others, and
certainly not without providing an equally workable alternative, which
MB is not.  When you have an alternative which provides the same
functionality as freedb, fine, kill freedb, be my guest.

The solution to this whole thing is to go to http://bugzilla.gnome.org
and file a bug
(WARNING: This will send you to a &*#$% web page and require you to
fill in some stuff)
asking for Soundjuicer to save the data locally when you change it.

Saving data locally doesn't fix the problem.

And as bastien said, the musicbrainz site could be better, but thats
nothing to do with us

Musicbrainz has nothing to do with this discussion, except for why on
earth the SJ developers chose to associate a web link to it with the
Submit menu item in SJ.

I don't understand this ideological opposition to freedb.  The query
function in SJ apparently uses freedb anyway, when it can't find the
CD in MB.  So what the #$%$ is wrong with *saving* to freedb when
you're already happy to *query* it????   After all, it's not like SJ
is freedb-judenfrei and you're battling to keep it that way, is it?
The devil is already in the #$%$ machine, how about just trying to
make the thing usable and checking your ideological purity at the
door?

Rohan