Re: [Usability] Dialogs and Maximize button

On 9/21/06, brian muhumuza <brian muhumuza gmail com> wrote:

> If the dialog isn't resizable (and isn't movable I assume) it hides
> the document/window that's below it.

The dialog should not cover the  whole document just the top, but that
doesn't prevent people from making those that do.

The dialog probably shouldn't prevent the user from scrolling. through the
document.

Would the dialog be like a toolbar that decreases the client area of
the document or would be placed over the client area?

In the latter case, scrolling isn't enough.

I think being able to detach the dialog at this point would be useful.

I bet you have seen a dialog like this in gedit. There's no disruption, you
can even go on working like you didn't notice it.

Nope, I don't use gedit.

> I don't see why it's bad if it's from the application itself.

It forces you to halt what you were doing and attend to it.
Note: It doesn't kindly ask but forcefully asks you leave what you are
doing.

But then you're talking about non-modal dialogs that aren't
immediately following a user action. IMO these should be avoided
completely.

But are they used often?