Re: [Usability] Chabada's Suggestions

I think it would be an interesting idea if it was lossless.  As soon as data can be lost in the translation I think it would be a mistake.

But as Matthew pointed out, it is a rename function.  Might it make more sense to have a right-click option to convert a file to another filetype, a la Nautilus scripts?  Certainly more complex but also more robust I think.

Why would a file's name determine it's format?  It seems artificial and fragile to me.  Alan's point about organizing via extension is a fallback to the shell, but is certainly true.  For the shell.  I think there are better ways to do it on the desktop - perhaps with Beagle and tagging images with their type or something like that?

However as long it is lossless there would be no danger and it most likely would be useful to some.  It actually might be kind of cool.

Kirk