Re: [Usability] Chabada's Suggestions

--- Michael Knepher <michael knepher gmail com> wrote:

> On 6/21/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
> >
> > > Another part of it is education, to try and make
> > > sure users understand we
> > > cannot play formats such as MP3 out of the box
> due
> > > to legal hazards.
> >
> > Then let's educate the users!
> >
> > Try to open an MP3 file in Nautilus, and you get a
> > 'application could not be found' message, which is
> > unhelpful and untrue.
> > Replace that with something that says why the MP3
> > can't be played.
>
> Isn't that the generic message that appears when
> trying to open *any*
> file type that doesn't have an application
> registered to that
> mime-type? Why should nautilus have a hard-coded
> exception for any
> file-type? Having a support page with information or
> links to further
> information about various filetypes and what
> applications can
> open/play/edit/hang out with them would seem to be a
> better idea.
> Today it may be mp3, but tomorrow it's likely to be
> some other format,
> and even today mp3 is far from the only
> unsupported-out-of-the-box
> file format for most distributions.

Opening a support page when the user tries to open an
MP3 file would be fine too.
Basically, something needs to happen beyond the
default message so the user doesn't simply think "This
linux is rubbish -- it doesn't even know what an MP3
file is!"

And yes, we could widen the idea, so anytime the user
tries to open a file for which there's currently no
application, she can go to find out more about what to
do next.
Eg, try to open an SVG file, and the helpfile you're
pointed to will suggest Inkscape.