Re: [Usability] Chabada's Suggestions

On Jun 25, 2006, at 7:16 AM, Kirk Bridger wrote:
I don't like the way Windows uses file extensions to determine
filetype. I think it is much more useful to have the system figure out what filetype it is. Windows ended up providing users with a means of hiding file extensions and we all know how that turned out. I love being able to send a .exe file through my exchange server's filter simply by renaming it .txt.

The converse of that is the friend of mine who renamed something.bmp to something.gif and wondered why it didn't get converted. (And that was without even being exposed to the Gimp, which has a Save dialog encouraging such confusion.)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/