Re: [Usability] Chabada's Suggestions

His site seems down, but looking through Google's cache I have a comment:

Renaming file extensions causes file type change:

I don't like the way Windows uses file extensions to determine
filetype.  I think it is much more useful to have the system figure out
what filetype it is.  Windows ended up providing users with a means of
hiding file extensions and we all know how that turned out.  I love
being able to send a .exe file through my exchange server's filter
simply by renaming it .txt.  Changing types though could be useful - I
use nautilus's script to resize images for example.  Being able to do
that in the properties or by right-clicking is an interesting idea.  I
suppose the same could be done for filetypes as well, to a limited
extent.  I'm not sure if there is a frequently used use case there or
not though.

Kirk

David wrote:
Dear All,

I am not sure if you have seen this article (apparently it appeared on SlashDot).
http://chabada.sk/better-desktop/

The reason I am mentioning it on the usability list is that he has many ideas for the utilisation of pop-up dialogues that appear not to be too intrusive.  The idea of mail new message preview is a large usability gap, due to the time it takes users to switch back and forth between the app they are using and Evolution to determine if a message is improtant or not and the interruption to workflow this entails.

Progress notifications, information about multimedia codecs and automatic music pause would all lead to a more intuitive systemi. The comments about displaying more relevant data in Nautilus are also worth taking on board.
All in all, these are some of the best practical suggestions I have seen for a long time.  I hope they provide deveopers and usability experts with food for thought.

Thanks,

Usability mailing list
Usability gnome org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/usability