Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop

On 7/31/05, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Rodney Dawes wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:12:28 -0400
> > From: Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com>
> > To: zuh iki fi
> > Cc: gnome-usability <usability gnome org>
> > Subject: Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop
> >
> > I like using the "Eject" button on the drive. It works nicely. :)
> >
> > For things like USB keyfobs and such, I think we should just fix the
> > problems with losing dating if you unplug the device, and it is not
> > written to yet.
>
> Yes please!
>
> Making users jump through hoops because the sofware is not smart enough to
> cache data is really annoying.

Perhaps I'm being daft, but how is the software (say gedit) supposed
to help in the event that I click "save" to a file on a USB dongle and
remove it before the buffered write to it is finished?

If you find text files too small, try to imagine the same with
nautilus and .oggs. That copy dialog goes away way before the data is
on the actual device. "caching data" sounds like the problem we are
having, not the solution.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi