[Usability] Screensaver unavailable for root login ?

I can't get the Gnome graphical screensaver to run when logged in as root, I understand there's an X security issue.. Is this correct ? KDE will run a screensaver for root with no fuss. What's the secret? I do a lot of technical messing about and prefer to stay logged on as root rather than have multiple sessions, use su, etc... I find it simpler to stay in a single "thinking mode" and remain vigilant (and take backups) rather than switch between "no worries" user mode and root mode continually.
Rod
http://distributedcomputing.info - find out how to make your pc work for the community