[Off Topic] Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME (Summit mockups)

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Shaun McCance wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:54 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:

> > On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:01 +0000, Iain * wrote:

> > > I don't know where I'd put a Print to File option, but I'd like it as

> > OpenOffice has an Export option, which currently supports PDF and HTML.
> > I'd expect generic PostScript to fall happily in there, which is what
> > people generally mean when they print to a file.

> The advantage of having it directly in the Print dialog
> is that applications all get the functionality for free.
> If we have to have a separate Print to File or Export,
> my bet is that a lot of applications won't remember to
> do so.

> As for use-cases, here's one:  My girlfriend uses a
> piece of statistical analysis software called SPSS.
> It's propriety software for Windows.  She once wanted
> me to print a file for her, so I told her to print it
> to a PDF and send me that.  It turns out that Print
> to PDF isn't in a standard Windows print dialog,
> which really shocked me.

It can be if you have PDF Creator installed
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

> want to convert it to PDF.  I'm not talking about
> high-end print shops here.  I might write my resumé
> in AbiWord,

Since I'm already well off topic I way as well mention you could even
export as LaTeX and use pdflatext to generate a PDF file which still
includes your hyperlinks (but it isn't WYSYWIG and the Abiword LaTeX
exporter doesn't support all the current features).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com