Re: [Usability]Keeping the Quit menu item

What if we were instead to support the GIMP-esque model for
applications, meaning a separate menu/toolbar window and then a window
for every document? Granted this could get very sloppy in terms of
screen real-estate and determining how to focus and raise various
windows based... but would this be an appropriate approximation?

-jag

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 12:15, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

> Well, the app-centric model works particularly well on the Mac because
> there is total decoupling between the windows and the app itself, which
> is conceptually represented by the icon in the dock and the changing
> menubar on the top, indicating which app is active at any given time.
>
> In that kind of setup, it makes sense that closing all the windows
> doesn't close the app as well, because an app doesn't necessarily need
> to have windows at all.  I agree it is not essential, but it makes sense
> that you dont' have to restart the app if e.g. you are done reading a
> document and want to open a different one (close document window, select
> file -> open...).
>
> On the other hand, it's hard to imitate this strictly app-centric model
> in GNOME because we don't have the dock, and also the menubar is
> embedded in the windows, which makes decoupling the app from its windows
> difficult.  For example, you can't handle the case where the app is
> running but it has no windows.
>
> I do like the Mac way better though...
>
> -- Ettore
Joshua Adam Ginsberg	       Cellphone: 970.749.8530
Rice University '02	       Email: joshg myrealbox com
St. Mark's School of Texas '98
safety." - Benjamin Franklin