Re: [Usability]Keeping the Quit menu item

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 03:30, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I'm not sure I like the Mac OS "feature" of an application continuing
> to run after all windows are closed. It certainly took a long time to
> get used to. But I don't think it's an essential part of an
> app-centric model.

Well, the app-centric model works particularly well on the Mac because
there is total decoupling between the windows and the app itself, which
is conceptually represented by the icon in the dock and the changing
menubar on the top, indicating which app is active at any given time.

In that kind of setup, it makes sense that closing all the windows
doesn't close the app as well, because an app doesn't necessarily need
to have windows at all.  I agree it is not essential, but it makes sense
that you dont' have to restart the app if e.g. you are done reading a
document and want to open a different one (close document window, select
file -> open...).

On the other hand, it's hard to imitate this strictly app-centric model
in GNOME because we don't have the dock, and also the menubar is
embedded in the windows, which makes decoupling the app from its windows
difficult.  For example, you can't handle the case where the app is
running but it has no windows.

I do like the Mac way better though...

-- Ettore