Re: [Usability]Keeping the Quit menu item

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 04:05, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Mac UI experts generally consider this a tradeoff. On the one hand,
> you are more likely to forget about an app after closing all windows
> and leave it running when you don't mean to. On the other hand, the
> model has the advantage that you can open a new document after closing
> the last one. Partly, this is to make up for the fact that launching
> the app again can be slow.
>
> On the Mac, many single-window utility apps do actually quit when you
> close their window, in recognition of this tradeoff.

Actually, I thought I read somewhere (Cocoa docs? HIG? I don't remember)
that multi-document apps are supposed to *not* quit when you close the
last window, while single-window apps are supposed to?..  (Although,
then, one wonders why the system preferences app doesn't quit when you
close the window.)

At any rate, this sounds like a reasonable guideline.

> Right. If I were designing the model for GNOME, I'd leave out the
> concept of "running app with no open windows". I'd probably also want
> to make the panel more dock-like, although it could be hard to do this
> while properly integrating legacy apps.

Yeah, I have the feeling that, unless one accepts that there are going
to be ugly inconsistencies with legacy apps, it might be impossible to
fix this issue properly.  :-/

-- Ettore