Re: [Usability]Attempt at constructive criticism - "Why Gnome 2 sucks for me"

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 17:42, Aleksander Adamowski wrote:
> >Simple answer: There shouldn't be "little things that annoy them". If
> >
> There will always be. Some of those things are a matter of personal taste.

Let's talk about some specific examples (if you want to). Do you have
any? :) I'm sure in most cases it will be one of this:
- A visual preference, like a theme or colors or font sizes. Those are
always good IMO as long as they don't exaggerate.
- A preference depending on the users environment (his pointing device,
his resolution, etc)
- Accessability
- A preference to suit old habbits for users who simply don't want to
adjust, although there way to work is in no way more efficient,
convenient or visual appealing than the default way. Those preferences
are IMO the worst ones...
- Exceptions ;)

> That I agree with.
> Usually (but not always) a good solution can be found.
>
> For example, the thing that has put me off Gnome 1.4 was that Nautilus
> was launched automatically when mounting cdrom, disturbing all my
> operations (e.g. when I were typing something in another window at teh
> same time). I couldn't find a way to turn that off (and spent half a day
> looking for it), and I've given up on Gnome 1.4.
>
> In 2.0 Nautilus doesn't launch a new window when mounting CD-ROM. It
> only creates a CD-ROM icon on the desktop, and I can decide whether I
> want to open it in Nautilus now, or later (if at all).
>
> This is an elegant solution, and no new prefs were needed. Good design
> decision.

Exactly. :) And we would find more of this if the first thought when
something is inconvenient or annoying wouldn't be "where is the pref to
disable it" but "they should fix it". ;)

- Daniel