Re: [Usability]Attempt at constructive criticism - "Why Gnome 2 sucks for me"

Ali Akcaagac <ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de> writes:
> On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 21:34, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > you should go use another desktop. We have a strong purpose, to
> > actually move Linux out of the 0.5% desktop niche to a broader range
> > of users.
>
> i always though that gnome was meant to be 'fun'. doing development for
> fun, contributing to it for fun because of the fun. with your last
> sentence in the above paragraph you showed that there are more interest
> behind it. my apologizes that i was fooled with this idea for so
> long...

Many people find it fun to do something exciting, like broaden the
appeal of Linux. That's not mutually exclusive with lots of fun
hacking tasks. If you think making GNOME a highly arcane
unusable-for-most-people desktop is fun, then no you won't have fun
working on GNOME, because the project is not about that. There are
many projects that _are_ about that, but not GNOME. The purpose of
GNOME is to broaden the appeal of UNIX/Linux/whatever-you-call-it to
desktop users.

> by the way ... you work for redhat don't you ?

Yes I do. And Red Hat is interested in making Linux work for more
users. But I was interested in that, and worked on GNOME because of
that, long before working at Red Hat.

Havoc