Re: [Usability]Attempt at constructive criticism - "Why Gnome 2 sucks for me"

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 23:39, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> If you think making GNOME a highly arcane unusable-for-most-people
> desktop is fun, then no you won't have fun working on GNOME, because
> the project is not about that. There are many projects that _are_
> about that, but not GNOME. The purpose of GNOME is to broaden the
> appeal of UNIX/Linux/whatever-you-call-it to desktop users.

good, let's say your intentions are honourable.....

.... but this leaves one question..... then why are you doing exactly
the opposite ?

during the time i paid a lot of attention on the mailinglists, on other
news announcing sites (even slashdot) and the gnome channel. a top list
of stuff that people came up with <these are examples only so please
don't nail me down on this>:

- removed customizability
- where can i set the windowmanager
- windows registry like system
- changed button order
- it looks like macos x

and there are a lot of users that silently switched from gnome to kde
because of these and other reasons. please don't say 'we know of these
issues and work on it' ... these stuff just came in with gnome 2 so it
was planned to be like that.

shouldn't this ring a bell ? i mean it's not just a bell anymore. all
these people can't be wrong... can they ? .. what else need to me done ?
even your own people. those that seriously worked for gnome for long
silently switched to something else (but continue working on it in hope
things will change).. if you lose these people... then it doesn't even
matter anymore if you get new users or not - for the long run. to get
new users you need to keep the existing ones. those that use linux or
similar systems. if you get them off of linux or gnome then who do you
think will spread the word or tell their friends how cool gnome is so
they please them to come and use it ?

and please. this seriously shouldn't be a flame or rant. luckely i am an
individual person with my own opinion. for sure they are not everyones
taste but i think i came up with some constructive hints. sometimes i am
a bit rough but well...

thank you for reading. please don't bash me for this.

Ali Akcaagac

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de