Re: [Usability]Attempt at constructive criticism - "Why Gnome 2 sucks for me"

Ali Akcaagac <ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de> writes:

> because some UI gnome/people think that this is the right way doesn't
> mean that it reflects the thoughts and opinion of others specially those
> using gnome. this conversation from _users_ with the button re-ordering
> came up just now with the release of gnome 2 before this there was no
> such conversation. if so then from the usability team.

We have no trivial way to collect input from real desktop users; they
are not on the mailing lists, and don't read the web sites. This is a
fact. If you don't agree with this premise then you're misinformed,
and I don't really know how to convince you.

The only way to collect input from real users instead of Linux
enthusiasts is to do user testing. We can't do user testing for every
decision.

That means using heuristics and best judgment.

If you think gnome should be some design-by-committee crap instead of
what the developers think is best after careful consideration, then
you're wrong.

Of course we love new information and rationale to be pointed out
before and after making decisions, input is very welcome. But it's one
important job of the developers to stand up for usability and average
users in the face of the onslaught of feature requests from people who
live and breathe computers.

It's also an important job of developers to make decisions. I don't
personally agree with the button order decision. But I'm glad we've
decided; I'd rather have a decision than waffle around for years.  And
I accept that having a coherent/single-vision set of decisions in the
form of the HIG is a good thing, and that such a coherent set can only
be obtained with the cost that I won't agree with every
micro-decision.

If you think GNOME should be the union of all possible desktop
environments and endlessly configurable for technical users, then your
vision for GNOME is fundamentally at odds with the developer's vision
for GNOME. And you should not stay here trying to fight the battle;
you should go use another desktop. We have a strong purpose, to
actually move Linux out of the 0.5% desktop niche to a broader range
of users.

Havoc