Re: [Usability] Re: Button ordering, But wh stop there.

On 03Nov2001 09:11PM (+1100), Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ville P?tsi">
>
> > http://drc.gimp.org/jeepo/delete-dialog-size.png
> >
> > By making the default button bigger the user looks at that first. This
> > would also ease the transition period.
>
> The default button is already highlighted - in IceGradient, the theme I use,
> it has a big blue gradient border. The proposal has images that show this
> in Raleigh:
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/proposals/dialog.html
>
> Which brings up something that I can't see an answer to in the proposal...
> What happens if the verb is not the default (for whatever reason, perhaps
> dangerousness or something)?

The rightmost button is supposed to be the affirmative response, but
it doesn't necessarily need to be the default. Another button could be
default, or none at all, depending on the risk of Enter accidents and
such.

The proposal still has a few rough edgees, for instance it suggests
both "OK" and "Cancel" for prefs dialogs but also suggests they be
instant-apply. We will clean up those sorts of issues as we
incorporate it into the forthcoming GNOME 2.0 Human Interface
Guidelines.

 - Maciej