[Usability] Re: Button ordering, But wh stop there.

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 10:07, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I've mostly used Windows and Unixoid systems that copied it. However,
> I was able to adapt to Mac OS X, which has the other button order,
> with a minimum of fuss.
>
> Even switching back and forth between my Mac and my Linux box isn't
> too bad.
>
> So I think people can get used to this change easily.
>
> I have noticed that mixing apps that use opposite button order
> conventions together is pretty confusing, unless they look
> sufficiently different. However, the separated help button looks
> different enough to me.

We can make it even more different. While reading this thread an idea
popped into my mind. The (bad) mockup can be found here:

http://drc.gimp.org/jeepo/delete-dialog-size.png

By making the default button bigger the user looks at that first. This
would also ease the transition period.

( I also agree with the idea that the button should not be "Ok" whenever
possible. Since you could be doing something in a program, then hit a
wrong key, for example delete instead of enter, since they are very
close together, and just click ok without thinking. If the button would
be "Delete", you'd prolly stop to wonder, most likely saving precious
data. )

--
Ville Pätsi -- drc gnome org